The largest of Pittsburgh's historic regional parks at 644 acres, Frick Park is also the youngest.
Although Henry Clay Frick bequeathed the original 151 acres to the city in 1919, the park did not open until 1927 after additional land had been acquired. Most recently, 106 acres were annexed to the park as part of the process that created the Summerset at Frick Park housing development and restored the Nine Mile Run stream valley. Today, Frick Park stretches from its northern borders in Point Breeze down to the Monongahela River.
Known as Pittsburgh’s woodland park for its extensive trails throughout steep valleys and wooded slopes, Frick Park is an ideal escape from the noise of the city. Birding enthusiasts love to visit Clayton Hill, where well over 100 species of birds have been recorded. Children flock to the famous Blue Slide Playground and learn about nature at the Frick Environmental Center. The park also features red clay tennis courts, baseball fields, and the only public lawn bowling green in Pennsylvania.
The Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy has completed extensive ecological restoration work in Frick Park since the Conservancy’s first capital project in 2000, the restoration of Reynolds Street gatehouse entrance. Currently, the Parks Conservancy is working to rebuild the Frick Environmental Center to replace the burned-down structure and create an urban hub for environmental education in Pittsburgh.