High School Urban EcoStewards
As we take our mid-season break for the winter, we would like to thank all of the students from City High, SciTech, Perry, Ellis, University Prep, and Westinghouse who are participating in High School Urban Eco Stewards for all of their hard work! Your dedication to the upkeep of your local ecosystem is admirable, and we thank you for always being upbeat and cheerful! We are looking forward to starting up again in the spring.
High School Urban EcoStewards are committed students who play an invaluable role in protecting our urban green spaces. Participants visit the parks at least 3 times throughout the school year and complete key environmental improvement projects, learn how parks and watersheds are vital urban ecosystems, and improve their observation and literacy skills through nature journaling.
Please contact our education department with questions at 412-682-7275 ext. 211 if you are interested in having your students participate in the program for the upcoming academic year.
- Engage youth in urban environmental stewardship
- Help restore urban parks and ecosystems
- Have fun while making a real difference for Pittsburgh’s parks
What students do as Urban EcoStewards:
- Connect with local green space
- Learn about urban ecosystems
- Contribute to the improvement of parks through hands-on restoration projects
- Learn about careers in the environmental field
- Understand the benefits of urban parks and green spaces and how humans impact them
- Increase scientific observation and journaling skills
- Work and learn outside in all weather (sessions will be cancelled only for extreme conditions)
The Parks Conservancy is looking for youth who are:
- Committed to making a difference for our local environment
- Willing to get dirty and work hard in an outdoor setting
- Able to behave responsibly off school grounds
- Interested in learning about parks and the urban environment