The Schenley Park Café and Visitor Center offers a coffee bar, light lunch fare, desserts, gift shop, park trail maps, and clean, wheelchair-accessible restrooms. Free wireless internet access is available in the building and on the tented patio.
Effective March 2nd, 2015, the Schenley Park Café and Visitor Center underwent a new culinary and events partnership with the Eat'n Park Hospitality Group.
Renting the Café
The Schenley Park Café and Visitor Center is an ideal location for an intimate wedding, engagement party, corporate retreat, or birthday party. Read the full catering guide. For information on renting the Café for a private event, please call 412-687-6724.
About the Building
Originally used as a picnic shelter, the Schenley Park Café and Visitor Center building was designed and built between 1903 and 1904 by Pittsburgh architectural firm of Rutan and Russell (other work by the firm includes the University of Pittsburgh’s William Pitt Union, formerly the Schenley Hotel). Two similar shelters that no longer exist were built around the same time but were torn down over the years. The Visitor Center is one of the few surviving buildings from the early days of park construction.
In its over 100 years in the park, the building has served as a concession stand for Phipps Conservatory, a tool shed in the 1930s, a workspace for the Pittsburgh Civic Garden Club, a nature museum housing snakes and other park creatures, and an office for workers conducting park repairs. Prior to the Parks Conservancy’s restoration project in 2001, the building had been closed to the public since the late 1980s.