“Time in nature has a rejuvenating effect on attention, boosts self-discipline, increases physical activity and fitness, and promotes student self-motivation, enjoyment, and engagement." - Ming Kuo, University of Illinois, 2019
One of the best ways to stay healthy is to simply step outside. Here are resources to help you take advantage of the benefits of nature.
Parks Rx Program
Studies show that one of the best ways to stay healthy is to simply step outside. Parks and green spaces improve health and well-being, strengthen communities, and make neighborhoods better places to live, work, and play. The Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy joins regional partners in Pittsburgh Parks Prescription, or Parks Rx, inviting children (and adults) in every neighborhood to explore and enjoy their local parks. Fill your parks prescription by visiting the Parks Rx webpage!
Enjoy a video of Parks Rx in action by clicking here!
Discover ways to connect to nature and find moments of peace and relaxation, especially during times of uncertainty through Mindful Moments.
- Start your own Mindful Moments journey by downloading this step-by-step guide.
- Browse free mindfulness activities for kids from New York Times bestselling author Annaka Harris.
- See how Shawn Fertitta, Visitor Experience Director, finds ways to connect with nature in his backyard.
Discover new park places to practice mindfulness exercises by using the Mindful Map below.
Forest Bathing, also know as “Shinrin-yoku,” is a practice of spending time outdoors in a natural area and being in the moment to enhance health and wellness. During a Forest Bathing experience, healing activities are incorporated to make room for listening, stillness, reflection, and heightened sensory awareness.
- Learn the basics of Forest Bathing from Dr. Qing Li, author of Forest Bathing: How Trees Can Help You Find Health and Happiness.
- Follow this guide to Forest Bathing wherever you are, developed by local certified Forest Therapy Guide Sandi Dallaba.
Fitness @ Home
Join Parks Conservancy educator, Chastity Bey, as she shows you ways to stay active and fit from the comfort of your home!