Established in 1867, Allegheny Commons is Pittsburgh's oldest park. Known for its mature canopy trees, wide promenade, and lovely Lake Elizabeth, Allegheny Commons is the front yard for the Northside's diverse neighborhoods. To preserve and restore the Commons, citizens formed an advocacy group called the Allegheny Commons Initiative in 1999. The Master Plan for Allegheny Commons was produced in 2002.
Today, the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy is working in partnership with the City, the Allegheny Commons Initiative, and the Northside Leadership Conference on initiatives to restore and renew Allegheny Commons:
ACTION PLAN. Efforts began in mid-2017 to develop a comprehensive approach to carrying out the 2002 Master Plan. The community-based process has reinforced historic preservation and focused on improving everyday use -- putting pedestrians first, providing more value to families, meeting contemporary recreational needs, and enhancing environmental benefits. Click here to view current reports and recommendations.
NORTHEAST FOUNTAIN. This project will recreate the historic fountain at the corner of North and Cedar Avenues. This project includes a fountain border garden, pathway reconstruction, benches, lighting, and other amenities. Click here to read the project description. Click here for regular project updates.